Gothenburg thrives in times of change, and has developed over the years by absorbing ideas and knowledge from around the world. The future of the city is dependent on continuing to be at the forefront and cooperating with innovative global organizations to create new opportunities for Gothenburg and other cities to develop.
Our global outreach is made possible through a mindset that we call ‘Open to the world’. The City of Gothenburg is a member of more than 50 international organisations and networks. The City collaborates with a range of local and global companies, as well as universities and science parks. By doing so, we share our knowledge and experience and learn from the best.
Gothenburgs international relations in brief
- Strategic sister-city agreements with Shanghai, Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality, Lyon and Chicago. Traditionally twinned with Scandinavia’s second cities
- Regional cooperation within Region Västra Götaland
- Triple-helix cooperation with international science parks as clusters of innovation: Johanneberg Science Park, Lindholmen Science Park and Sahlgrenska Science Park
- Well established, EU-related working methods and networks
- EU representation office in Brussels
- Several EU projects within the Smart Cities Initiative
- An active member of several international organisations and networks, including Eurocities and ICLEI